How do you track all the moving parts of a novel? Keeping up with characters and relationships gets dicey with genres like mystery, thriller, and romance. As you’ve seen in countless shows, amateur and professional detectives use visual aids. You can use cork and marker boards, but I discovered how to create evidence boards using Canva Pro, and make posters for your screen or wall.
Wikipedia’s Take on Evidence Boards
An evidence board (also known as a “conspiracy board” or “crazy wall”) is a common background feature in thriller and detective fiction movies and TV. It features a collage of media from different sources, pinned to a corkboard or stuck to a wall, and frequently interconnected with string to mark connections.
Evidence Boards for Writers
Evidence boards give writers the ability to keep in front of them visual reminders of information important to their works in progress. Information can include:
- Connections (Characters, Settings, and Events)
- Crime Scenes
- Questions and Notes
- Evidence (Hard, Hidden, Trace)
- Testimonials (First-hand Accounts)
- Circumstantial (Inferences)
- Story Beats
Create Evidence Boards Using Canva Pro
Have fun turning your sticky notes and computer files into posters. Whether displayed on computer (screen savers, anyone?) or wall (become the envy of your writer’s group), posters showcase essential story information.
For my evidence boards, I used the character images and graphic illustrations available within Canva Pro at no additional cost to subscribers. I did all formatting within the app, which works on desktops, tablets, and mobiles.
If you want to print posters, that’s also done within Canva Pro for an additional charge (prices shown were valid as of February 5, 2022).
- Medium: 1 copy of a 24-inch x 18 inch poster is $7.50*
- Large: 1 copy of a 28-inch x 21-inch poster is $15*
*Free shipping (7-14 business days)
Evidence Board Examples
I’m still adding to these boards. Please keep in mind I’m sharing my visual aids, and like most “working notes,” contain typos.
More Creative Uses of Canva Pro
➨Website Header, Logo, & Graphic Example
With Canva Pro, I made this week’s featured image.
My brand colors and fonts were available for immediate use in Canva Pro. No need for other apps because you can size images, including resolution optimization for fast loading.
➨Book Trailer Example
My favorite copyeditor and proofreader is Kelsey Bryant, and she’s also an accomplished writer!
If you’re concerned that your soon-to-be published manuscript might not pass the “grammar sharks” unscathed, check out Kelsey’s excellent and affordable copyediting and proofreading services.
With Canva Pro, I created a book trailer for her vintage Jane Austen styled book, Suit and Suitability.
➨Book Promotion Example
Want to showcase your book on social media? Canva Pro offers dozens of ideas and puts hundreds of easy-to-use templates at your fingertips.
For example, here’s a book promotion sized for Instagram.
- How to Find the Writing Tools and Self-publishing Apps Writers Need to Satisfy Readers’ Expectations Like the Top Authors
- Increase Your Momentum: Use Draft2Digital to Publish Faster
- Self-edit Your Novel (Part 1B)
- What Is Publisher Rocket?
- Get the Free Character Template for Scrivener
- Busy Writers: Use Bestselling Authors’ Writing Principles to Please Readers
- Writing Principles: Overcome the Tyranny of the OR to Achieve Your Writing Goals
- Writing Principles: Meet Author and Blogger Jacqui Murray
- Writing Principles: The Top 6 Writing Principles Writers Can Use to Capture the Hearts of Readers
- Writing Principles: How to Write a Logline for Your Novel
Leave a Reply
How do you track essential information, and what’s your favorite app?