Everyday word processors work fine for memos, letters, and short stories. But software applications, such as Microsoft Word and Apple Pages, do little to organize thoughts, research, and structure. This Scrivener software overview shows how you can simplify writing and publishing.
Scrivener for Mac
For instance, in this Scrivener software overview, you’ll discover the app can:
- Arrange scenes according to your preferred story structure.
- Produce files in popular formats to self-publish.
- Use templates and arrange your digital workplace to:
- Enhance story structure
- Format preferred style
- Track story details
If you write using an Apple desktop or laptop, I recommend you get Scrivener 3. I’ll share why by answering a few questions.
What is Scrivener software?
Scrivener is more than a word processor:
- Manage even the most extensive writing projects, including a book series.
- Organize research, outline stories, and display summaries using visual Editor, Outliner, and Corkboard.
- Collect research from many sources and reference those details from within Scrivener.
- Publish your work in multiple formats.
- Display 3X5-card summaries, simplifying tracking multiple points of view.
Which company Developed Scrivener?
The story of Scrivener began in 2004. Keith Blount dreamed of creating the ideal software to write his novel and thesis. He taught himself to code. Two years later, Literature & Latte was born. Blount released the first version of Scrivener in January 2007.
Today, Keith and his dedicated team continue to support and develop this revolutionary software.
Why do writers use Scrivener?
Scrivener supports a wide range of writing projects, but this overview focuses on authors who write full-length novels.
Writers disappoint readers when they don’t balance characters, plot, theme, and structure. To exceed audience expectations, they use Scrivener to track how:
- Global Story influences through characters, plot, theme, and structure.
- Characters convey emotions as they change and grow throughout the story.
- Plot forces characters to face conflict through a series of events.
- Theme reinforces the universal truth (human need) that conflicts with lies (human want).
- Structure heightens emotions based on the strategic sequence of events.
Scrivener helps authors substantiate their books with easy-to-reference research, such as clues in fiction and facts in non-fiction.
Why is Scrivener better than everyday word processors?
Scrivener gives authors the ability to:
- Organize an entire novel using a digital three-ring binder.
- Research, write, and arrange long documents with visual representations.
- Divide books into named documents, such as scenes and chapters.
- View key aspects of your story in the Editor, Outliner, and Corkboard.
- Rearrange the order of documents in the binder with drag and drop.
- Move notes from an Ideas folder into your Manuscript folder.
- Increase productivity by changing the layout to match your writing style.
Impact of Apple updates?
Scrivener 3 works great with the latest operating system. Over the years, I’ve seldom needed to contact Literature & Latte. On those rare occasions when I had a question, I got a prompt response.
Can I use Scrivener on multiple computers?
Scrivener grants you what’s called a “household” license for the Mac platform. You can install and run Scrivener on your Apple desktops and laptops which you are the predominant user. Also, you can install and run Scrivener on any Mac machines based in your house and used by family members living with you. But you cannot use a Mac license with the Windows version or a Windows license with a Mac.
Is Scrivener worth the price?
I believe Scrivener is well worth the price when you consider the benefits and features. But before you buy, please read my in-depth review of Scrivener, which includes screenshots and images.